Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Getting Geared Up

These last two months have been all about swim lessons for Jenna and getting ready for VBS at our church.
I volunteered to both co-direct and to be in charge of decorations.  Momentary insanty or early dementia, you choose.  Either way, it has meant that 2 and then 3 days a week for the last two months, the girls and I and some amazingly steadfast volunteers have been tracing, painting and cutting clip art to apply to pieced together and painted murals.
We are doing Outback Express so our entire Sanctuary, foyer and lower fellowship hall have custom made panels for every single wall to turn it into the Australian Outback.
I've recently taken to tracing clip art in my sleep and dreaming of Hugh Jackman.
I will tell you right off that without Rowan, I couldn't do this gig.  She is both indispensable and invaluable.
At this point we are in pretty decent shape, somewhere I didn't see us being even as late as last week.

While incredibly disappointed wouldn't begin to describe how I feel about not getting our usual 2+ weeks on Washburn this year, I had resigned myself to the best 3 day mini-camping trip possible.  Mike was even going to take those days off and spend them as a family on our beloved island.  I then discovered that the "Night of Worship" special music night is the first night of our 3 days.  Something impossible for him to get out of, even if he wanted to.  Crap.

In between all the other activities we have gone to Thursday Park Days with our homeschool gang for fun and fellowship.  Rowan spent weeks preparing for a Sunday School skit that finally went on last week, and we've had some great times around the pool with friends.  Mike has been doing a Thursday night paying gig playing campfire music at a local motel and the girls have been going with him and having a grand time and s'mores.
We've had visits from friends, evenings with family, morning visits from a rafter of turkeys and evening visits from a gaze of racoons.  Jenna had strep throat and was down for a full week with a fever and Rowan had something going one that involved a high fever but responded quickly, thank God, to antibiotics.

We've spent some time on the beach, almost had to since we paid for the beach sticker to get to swim lessons, and it was almost enjoyable.  Even with my hatred of both sand and sunscreen.

We spent a week volunteering at the 4H kitchen during the Barnstable County Fair, cooking, serving and selling.   It was often over 100 degrees in that kitchen, whew!

School is on the horizon and we need to order Rowan's BJU Biology.  I have to finish scheduling out the first semester and putting all of it in her binder.  It took me 7 hours to make Rowan's weekly schedule for Omnibus and history alone!  Jenny's is pretty much done.  Both girls have ambitious and rigorous years ahead.   Their ID cards for the year have been made and laminated, I found the greatest free program to do both those and Mike's business cards.

I am looking forward to this year but I am really not ready quite yet.
Still gearing up both mentally and spiritually, and there are a few lazy, hazy days of summer left to enjoy.

Laurie August 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I loved VBS as a child. As a adult volunteer at times, I understand now the sacrifice it takes. Keep on giving! It's worth it to the kids.

MommyToTwoBoys August 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Thanks for stopping by on my SITS day! I may end up homeschooling my son with Autism someday, so I will have to remember you as a resource!

Diana August 7, 2010 at 12:25 AM

What a busy, busy summer you've had! The beach and water sound lovely... the 100 degree kitchen, um, maybe not so. LOL!

Visiting from SITS and thanking you for visiting me a couple weeks ago on my blog, too. Have an awesome weekend! =)

Meghan August 10, 2010 at 7:50 AM

LOVE your post here! Thanks for linking up with Hip Homeschool Hop! We're excited you're around.

Meghan
www.thetuckerstaketennessee.com
www.facebook.com/hiphomeschoolmoms

Joy August 10, 2010 at 8:10 AM

I enjoyed VBS as a child and still love helping out with it today. Sounds like you all had an exciting time! Stopping by from the Hip Homeschool Hop!

Jessica August 10, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I related to your comment about being "almost there but not ready yet". That is how I feel. I have almost all of my curriculum ordered, almost all my organizing done, almost all my thoughts processed but not quite. I still have more thinking to do, especially for my oldest daughter and language arts (this will be her first year homeschooling). We will get there. When it is time, we will be ready!

Tracey August 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM

What a busy, fun-filled summer you've had! We're trying to squeeze all we can into these last couple of weeks! Hope your homeschooling year gets off to a great start!

Jodi August 10, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I loved helping out with VBS at our old church. I sure do miss that! Thanks for stopping by to comment today...from the Hip Homeschool Mom Blog Hop :)

Dawn August 10, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I came over to say hello and didn't even THINK I would recognize anything... much to my surprise! My Dad was in the Coast Guard and we were stationed on Otis AFB in/near Woods Hole when I was in 3rd-5th grades. He was almost immediately sent overseas for 9 mos. but my mom, sister and I spent most of that time exploring the East Coast. SO hot and muggy in the summer but we had so much fun. So neat seeing your life there! :)

Kimarie @ The Cardamom's Pod August 10, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Hi - thanks for stopping by! And I see we're on the same Bible in 90 Days plan :-)

Sue August 10, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Wow! What a fun summer you've had.

I'm so glad that you joined the HIP HOMESCHOOL HOP.

Sue
The Homeschool Chick

Krista August 10, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Thanks for stopping by! Wow, what a busy summer you have had! I'm looking forward to getting back to routine soon.