Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What Summer Means to Me: Part One

I wish summer were more like my memories of summer.  There were events that you looked forward with great anticipation; the county fair, fireworks on the 4th, long, lazy days at the beach and seeing your extended family.  The cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, the people you love that belong to you by blood, the ones you rarely got to see, summer was always the time we renewed our bonds.

I remember well our summer family get-togethers.  The whole crew would be there, at my grandparents place.  Some of us came from farther away than others, but we'd all arrive, carloads at a time.

These annual gatherings meant fun and laughter, bocce and croquet, walks to the beach and we kids playing while the grown-ups talked.  It was "witches brew" in the huge crock keeping it well-water cool and pickles and chips, deviled eggs and macaroni salad.

They were sailing, clamming with our grandfather, long days on Squaw Island beach-combing and swimming and playing.  Sand, salt air , sticky from Popsicles and tar on your feet, climbing the carport rafters to watch the bats sleep and falling asleep on the way home.

Over the years, some of those family bonds have become threadbare.  Death has severed a few, but not our devotion.  Distance and apathy have worn some of them thin. Even so, I don't believe that a one of us holds these memories less dear.
Those were the days of summer.
And I miss them.

panamamama July 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM

What great memories! You've inspired me for a new post on my blog. Thanks for visiting today. Love your blog. I used to homeschool, but now all of mine are in school. VERY hard adjustment for me.

Shirley July 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

So true! We all knew how to relax and enjoy each other's company better back then, I think. Simple joys are always the most cherished. ~ S

The Blonde Duck July 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I think summer is my favorite season.

GlowinGirl July 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Just yesterday my cousin, sis and I took our kids to the same beach that our parents/grandparents used to always go when Grandma and Grandpa had a house on the lake. It was a wonderful spot for birthday parties. My cousin remarked, "The next generation is now here."

Those places and times are tied so closely to the people we are today . . . being distant from them sometimes makes us feel as if a part of our very being is missing. Bittersweet. The memories that can no longer be because of people that are already gone mixed with the joy of the present.

GlowinGirl July 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Amanda @ Serenity Now July 27, 2010 at 10:32 PM

What awesome memories and family photos! :) Thanks so much for the visit today. :)

Cheryl July 30, 2010 at 9:56 AM

William T had this to say:

Akira Satoshi Hiroshi why people meet non-success, and perseverance Takashi Tsutomu Shi-factor for the completion of other 們 缺乏. Even translator couldn't figure out the last words.

I love your memories and the photos. It was my grandparent's generation that kept this alive. As each member slowly left us, so did the traditions. One cousin does try to keep some of us connected through the sole survivor of that generation every year on my grand-aunt's birthday. 95 this August. Hope we all get together again.