Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Many Partings

I have always lived, just a little, elsewhere.  I have resided many a month in Middle Earth.  I have dwelt in Narnia. I've spent many a laughter-filled day in Arendia and every so often visit Pern.  I've lived in Darkover and Amber and most recently I have spent hours on end in London.  Not London as we know it, the London that leads to Diagon Alley and Hogwarts. The London I wish were really there. I am re-reading my Harry Potter books.

The Harry Potter books were all the rage in their beginning, but I never read it then.  I am not a hype fan and am never driven to read something that is all "the rage".  Then there was all the hoopla on my message boards about them and I ignored it all.  I am not sure when I finally picked up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, but I know I picked it up at a used book store.  And I read it.  And I enjoyed it very much; enough to hurry and get the next two from the library.
I was captivated.

I read the 2nd book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and the 3rd, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and then, I had to wait for Miss Rowling to write the rest, along with all of her fans.  And I missed Harry, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Ron and Hermione, so I read them again.

I loved the heart of these books.  I loved the friendships, the themes, the struggles and the joys of these characters and like Aslan, Aragorn, Polgara and Gandalf, they became part of my world.  A part of what makes me, well, me.  I have whole worlds in my head with friends that live there that share our human condition.  They are a part of my makeup, my thoughts, my experiences, my heart.  I read them, each as they came out, dreading the moment when I reached the last few pages.  I identified with Mrs. Weasley, hated Snape and rooted for Tonks to win Lupin.  I sobbed when Dumbledore died and hated the guy who took over his part after Richard Harris died.

I now own and have read all seven of the books more than twice.  I have seen and own all 6 of the movies.  To think that so soon, the phenomenon that has been Harry Potter will be over is more than a little distressing.  It was bad enough when I finished the Deathly Hallows for the first time.  I admit to having gone through a slump.  It was hard to imagine that there would be no more.  Soon, the last of the movies will be out.  And I will go to see part one in November and part two in July and then it will truly be over.  I never want the magic to be over.

Isn't that the best thing about books though?  That between two covers lies the magic?  Wherever I am, whenever I open them, I am back, and the magic begins anew.

Eternal Lizdom June 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

We have similar reading interests!

Regarding the post below... I've been tot he area. I never had a chance to go to Old Sturbridge. But I've stayed in Sturbridge and my company has had offices/production in Southbridge. Unfortunately, we are in the process of shutting down production at that location so there won't be any more business trips for me to MA. :(

Linda June 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I loved this post, especially your opening. That's just how I feel when I've read a good book. I want to stay in that country longer, find out what happens to the people and their land.

And I know the same people you do-in fact now you've made me want to go see Polgara and company again! They are just upstairs-how handy.

Aging Mommy June 29, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I have never read Harry Potter but maybe it is time I did. A lovely post. I am an avid book lover and I totally agree, when you open the covers of a good book and get lost within it is truly magical.

cheri June 29, 2010 at 3:00 PM

oh,you just had to remind me that...

*sob*

Lori June 29, 2010 at 3:33 PM

We are late to the Harry Potter books as well. I read the first aloud a few months ago. Kevin has now read them all, Nathan is on the 4th one I believe, and I have only finished the first two. After all three of us have read the book, we watch the movie. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoy both the books and the movies (and I hear it only gets better) and don't understand what the negative fuss was all about. And I agree, the best stories transport us to new worlds and we're sad to leave them.

I plan to catch up by November so that I can enjoy the new movie as well!

Cheryl June 30, 2010 at 8:24 AM

From your opening words, I was drawn into your world. This was beautifully done. I probably shouldn't have read all of it since I haven't gotten to many of the HP books yet. I'm sad to learn Dumbledore dies. Good thing I have no memory to speak of so it'll all be new and exciting when I do get to them.

Christina Lee June 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

aww I loved this- you expressed my feeling for me so succinctly! It is a magical set of books. All seven are on my bookshlef too!

Jim Hill June 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I agree whole-heartedly. I haven't loved the HP movies, but I do look forward to them. I've re-read the books each time the new movie is due, so I can be refreshed, but also pick out new bits that were passed over too quickly and can now be savored.

Katie Gates June 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Lizzie, This is a beautiful post! Have you read WINTER'S TALE by Mark Helprin? I think you would like it -- a lot!

Laurie June 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Harry Potter? Discovered him by accident while recuperating from minor surgery. A nephew left the first in the series hanging around the house. I was hooked. My pop, too, who read said nephew's book while sitting in a deer stand. Though he admitted it was a tad scary to read alone in the woods!

Steph S. June 30, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Hi Liz! Thanks for stopping by my blog - I saw the Deathly Hallows trailer last night before Eclipse and it looked SO GREAT. I haven't read any Harry Potters, can you believe that?!?!? Maybe i'll make that my summer/fall project! The preview looked so great, i'm ready to jump on the Harry Potter train!

Belle (from Life of a...) July 1, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I really appreciate you stopping by Life of a Southern Belle. It's always so exciting to meet new bloggers...don't believe I've ever known anybody from Cape Cod. I look forward to having some time this weekend to get to know more about what is happening in your world. Come back to see me soon!

Melissa B. July 2, 2010 at 8:03 AM

You'll get no objections from this high school English teacher! Books are the best form of escape...for the imagination, for the sense of peace they bring, for the soul. SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

Moon Over Miami

Amy July 2, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Thanks for visiting my blog! The great thing about the Home Management Binder is that it will probably ALWAYS be a work in progress! No need to worry about a deadline to have it done!

I am with you when it comes to books. I can get lost in them for hours if I'm not careful! It always feels so very real when reading...well, most of the time. Depends on how good the author is. Hehe. The HP trailer gives me goosebumps everytime I watch it...and yes, I've watched it several times now!

Don't be a stranger now, y'hear?

Mrs4444 July 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I love the way books can take you away, and I've passed that gift onto my children. My husband, though-He's not going anywhere!haha Thanks for linking up.

@Home-Mom July 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I did like the movies, and once i watch a movie its hard for me to read the books. visiting from sits!

Sorta Southern Single Mom July 3, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I, too, Loved Harry Potter and went though a withdrawal of sorts when I finished reading the last book. I've not seen any of the movies yet, but have been meaning to.

Thanks for stopping by Single Mom in the South last week! Sorry it took so long to get over here to check in!

Kirby3131 July 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I have not read the HP Series, but I planned to once I got my Kindle - but the author won't allow her books to be published via Kindle. So I'm sort of at a standstill with that.

It's truly amazing what a great author can do to transport us to a totally different time and place. You described that so well.

Kristin - The Goat
by way of Saturday Sampling

JDaniel4's Mom July 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Thanks for stopping by.

I have disappeared in the words in a these books too.

Melissa B. July 6, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I've been selling some of our books on Amazon...for both the pocket change and to clear some space in our very over-crowded house. My daughter calls periodically to make sure I haven't sold the Harry Potters...

Anonymous,  November 26, 2010 at 5:21 AM

Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!

Pam March 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Came over from Homeschool Blogger's Haven. I know I am posting on a very old post, but I so share your feelings about HP. You did a wonderful job of putting my feelings into words ;-) I am fortunate to have three kiddos too young yet for HP. I have many years of discovery ahead of me. Oh, and did you hear that JKR is working on a new novel for adults?